- Created on Tuesday, 29 July 2014
Role title: Fundraising volunteer
Location: Forum office, Bethnal Green, East London
Hours of Duty: Half a day per week (minimum). Precise hours can be discussed.
Appropriate arrangements for prayer will be agreed as necessary. The office is usually open between 0900 and 1600.
Expenses: Travel to and from Forum office (within Greater London) will be reimbursed, Up to £5 for lunch will be reimbursed if volunteering for a a full day. Receipts must be provided.
Accountable to: Forum Director
Key relationships: You will work directly to and closely with the Forum’s Director. You will also discuss project proposals with Forum members and work alongside other volunteers.
Background: This post will support the Director of the Christian Muslim Forum. The Forum promotes strengthened relationships between Christian and Muslim communities in England.
Purpose of Role: To contribute to raising vital funds for the Forum to continue its inter faith work, this will involve building relationships and exploring new fundraising opportunities from various sources.
- Research and Identify sources of funding e.g. grant making trusts using the internet and grant-finding databases
- Manage and update funding databases to record donor contact, fundraising activities and related information
- Support Forum Director to write funding applications and mail-shots to reach a wide range of potential and current donors
- Meet with Forum partner organisations, either at the office or a chosen venue, to discuss project proposals and develop joint funding applications
Skills and Experience
- Be well-organised, able to work with or without supervision
- Be able to work as member of a team and on own initiative
- Be willing to travel and meet new people
- Be prepared to undertake appropriate training as required
- Previous experience with fundraising or project proposals, or willingness to learn
- Have good skills in Word, Excel, email, internet searching
- Good numeracy and writing skills
- Ability to network and build successful relationships with supporters
- Be able to work with people from different faiths and ethnicities
- People of any faith or none are welcome to apply for this role.
Training and Support
- Initial informal interview with the Forum Director
- An induction to the Forum’s work, venue and policies will be provided on your first day
- We are keen that our volunteers improve their skills, experience and learn more about inter faith work. Thus we are happy to refer you to appropriate events and training to help you with your role
- The supervisor for this role will be the Forum Director
Equality & Diversity
Equal treatment amongst people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives is central to the understanding of Islam and Christianity which the Forum promotes. The Forum therefore has an equal opportunities policy which staff and volunteers are expected to abide by.
Standards of Behaviour and Conduct
Staff/Volunteers are expected to act at all times with due consideration for others and in a manner befitting their position as representatives of their faith.
Staff/Volunteers must not pass on to unauthorised persons any information obtained in the course of their duties without appropriate authorisation.
Staff/Volunteers will be provided with appropriate facilities for prayer and are expected to respect others’ religious practices.
Interested? Please contact us