Web Volunteer Opportunity
- Created on Tuesday, 24 June 2014
Role title: Web volunteer
Location: Forum office, East London
Hours of Duty: Half a day per week (minimum). Precise hours can be discussed. Appropriate arrangements for religious observance will be agreed.
Expenses: Travel to and from Forum office (within Greater London) will be reimbursed, including up to £5 for lunch for a full day volunteering.
Accountable to: Forum Director
Key relationships: You will work directly to and closely with the Forum’s Director, members of the Forum and Forum volunteers.
Background: This post will support the Director of the Christian Muslim Forum. The Forum promotes strengthened relationships between Christian and Muslim communities in England.
Role summary: Updating and improving the Forum’s website and content. The website informs visitors about Forum and partner events, latest news concerning Christians and Muslims and related information, articles and information about Forum members and activities.
- Manage and update the Forum’s website with new content e.g. articles, events, photos.
- Gather good news stories each week
- General administrative tasks in relation to web design, data control and collection of relevant information obtained by way of the website
Skills and Experience
- Good IT and web management skills. We are currently using Joomla for our website and Wordpress for our blog (specific experience preferred but we can offer training)
- Be well-organised, able to work with or without supervision
- Be able to work as member of a team and on own initiative
- Be able to work with people from different faiths and ethnicities
- Be prepared to undertake appropriate training as required
- Flair for graphic design to advertise Forum events
- Be able to identify ways to improve both the website and information storage
Training and Support
- Initial informal interview with the Forum Director
- An induction to the Forum’s work, venue and policies will be provided on your first day
- We are keen that our volunteers improve their skills, experience and learn more about inter faith work. Thus we are happy to refer you to appropriate events and training to help you with your role. You will be supported and provided guidance in all areas of work, more experienced staff can offer hands-on training in website management and you will also be supported by our webmaster (not based in London).
Equality & Diversity
Equal treatment amongst people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives is
central to the understanding of Islam and Christianity which the Forum promotes. The
Forum therefore has an equal opportunities policy which requires the employer to fulfill certain
obligations and places responsibilities on staff. Staff and volunteers are expected to abide by this policy.
Behaviour and Conduct
Staff/Volunteers are expected to act at all times with due consideration for others and in a manner befitting their position as representatives of their faith.
Staff/Volunteers must not pass on to unauthorised persons any information obtained in the course of their duties without appropriate authorisation.
Staff/Volunteers will be provided with appropriate facilities for prayer and are expected to respect others’ religious practices.